The garage serves a variety of purposes for many homeowners beyond merely parking a car there and storing stuff that doesn’t fit in the basement. Many individuals use their garage as a location for hobbies like carpentry or to work on their cars. Epoxy paints and varnishes are the ideal alternatives for garage floor protection.
Garage floor epoxy coating enhances the exterior appeal and resale value of your property in addition to protecting it from harm.
In this article, we’ll examine epoxy garage floor treatments suggested by our Aurora Garage Door Repair technicians to help choose the option that’s ideal for your home.
What is epoxy paint for garage floors?
Epoxy garage floor painting often has a matte or satin finish and is comprised of latex acrylic. Although it was initially intended for industrial usage, garage and basement flooring regularly utilize it. Epoxy, often known as one-part epoxy, may be applied in a little amount. An epoxy coating is different from epoxy concrete floor paint, as we’ll see in a later section of this blog.
The advantages of selecting epoxy garage floor painting,
- Produces a robust, long-lasting protective, and professional coating.
- Simple to clean using a vacuum, brush, or mop.
- Because it is resistant to corrosion and chemicals, it is perfect for garages.
- Heat-resistant, shock-resistant, and moisture-resistant, therefore it shields against hot tires.
Paint for epoxy garage floors:
- is extremely slick when smeared with oil, which raises the risk of falls
- It will ultimately require refreshing or repainting to keep its beauty.
- is susceptible to discoloration based on the circumstance.
What is an epoxy coating for garage floors?
Epoxy resin and a polyamine hardener are the two components that make up epoxy floor coatings, as was previously established. The interaction of these two chemicals begins a curing process that creates heat and hardens the mixture into an inert plastic. The length of time it takes for a coating to cure will depend on the specific coating mix.
There are many benefits of epoxy garage floor coating:
- Improved concrete adhesion compared to paints made with oil, water, enamel, and acrylic.
- Resistant to dampness, mold, and mildew, making them ideal for any environment.
- Excellent for cold locations since it can endure below-freezing temperatures, salt from the roads, and deicing chemicals that can quickly destroy concrete.
- Has a high bond strength, minimal porosity, and is very durable.
- Simple to maintain and clean with water and a mild solution
completely conceals microscopic faults in the concrete, such as tiny spider cracks.
- With expert installation, lasts up to 20 years, and frequently has a 15-year manufacturer guarantee
Epoxy garage floor sealer has some drawbacks as well.
- More expensive than epoxy paint, which can be applied by oneself and purchased from a home improvement store.
- Because two chemicals must be combined, expert installation is typically necessary.
Types of epoxy coatings for garage floors
Epoxy garage floor sealers come in four different categories. The option you select will rely on the appearance, feel, and functionality you desire from your garage floor. There are benefits and drawbacks to each type.
1. Self-leveling epoxy coatings – These coatings give your floor a new look and increase its longevity. They come in a wide variety of colors and gloss levels to suit your own tastes.
2. Metallic epoxy coatings – Metallic epoxy coatings provide concrete surface depth and radiance. They’re popular in upscale garages since they come in a variety of forms and combine industrial strength with a chic appearance.
3. Quartz Epoxy Flooring – These coatings, which have beautiful quartz grains in them, are frequently utilized in upscale garages with a lot of foot traffic. They are ideal for high-traffic areas since they are also incredibly strong, slip- and spill-resistant, and durable.
4. Novolac Epoxy Coatings – Novolac is an artificial chemical that is a popular choice and frequently used in place of natural floor resins like shellac. The cured form of Novolac offers improved heat and chemical resistance in addition to chemical, acid, and other harsh element resistance.
How Much Do Garage Floor Epoxy Paint & Coatings Cost?
Based on the following variables, the cost of epoxy garage floor durable finish varies greatly:
- Engaged in concrete preparation (grinding vs. acid etching)
- Any floor repairs before application
- Number of coatings Quality of the materials utilized
- Regardless of whether you work with an expert or do it yourself
If you’re on a tight budget, a single coat of water-based epoxy paint may be purchased for as little as 27 per square foot on average. For around $1 per square foot, high-performance, commercial-grade epoxy coating system kits are offered.
Professional installation by garage door experts in Aurora typically involves at least one base epoxy color coat, color flakes, and a clear topcoat and starts at around $4 per square foot. Alternatively, you might choose a fast-coating technique, which costs around $6 per square foot and has to be done by an expert.
The first step in improving your area is to apply a high-quality garage floor epoxy paint or finish. Call Spark Garage Doors Aurora at (720) 800 9966 if you want to install a brand-new garage door in your house. Simply give one of our Garage Door Repair specialists a call.